Find out more about certifications on Reisen für Alle (only available in German).
For visitors with restricted mobility and visitors with strollers the PalaisPopulaire can be accessed via a ramp at the main entrance on Bebelplatz. All exhibition rooms are stepless or can be reached by elevator. There is a wheelchair-accessible lavatory on the ground floor.
For security reasons, we reserve the right to regulate access to the exhibition rooms of people with strollers (e.g. when there is a large number of visitors). There is a space where you can store a stroller.
The nearest barrier-free U-Bahn, S-Bahn, and regional train station is Friedrichstrasse (U6, S1, S2, S3, S5, S7, S9, S25, S26, RE1, RE2, RE7, RB14, RB21, RB22), approx. 1.2 km away. Find more information here.
To make it easier for visitors with disabilities to get to the PalaisPopulaire, we recommend using the free VBB (the Berlin and Brandenburg transportation agency) bus and train escort services. You can find booking details and more information here.
You can find out more about our barrier-free offers here.
Parking near the PalaisPopulaire (approx. 400 m)
For persons with reduced mobility there is the possibility to park in the "Staatsoper" parking garage at Bebelplatz in reserved places.
At the PalaisPopulaire
All exhibition rooms can be reached by elevator or without steps. The ground floor and basement each have a WC suitable for wheelchairs.
The museum area extends over 4 floors and has an elevator. All exhibition rooms are stepless.
It is possible to take a guide dog with you. For blind and visually impaired visitors, a tactile floor plan, tactile images of individual exhibits, the exhibition flyer, and a restaurant menu in Braille are available for your visit at the museum counter. If you need help, please contact the museum counter.
Access to the PalaisPopulaire
Main entrance via the terrace
- Stone staircase 5 steps with railing
- 3 steps to the entrance without railing
- Door at entrance opens automatically inwards, 2-leaf, 1.30 m wide
Main entrance via ramp
- The PalaisPopulaire is accessible to disabled visitors with pushchairs or wheelchairs via a ramp at the main entrance on Bebelplatz
- Ramp runs 22 m along the terrace. Incline 6%, width 1.20 m
- Ramp at the entrance is 5.75 m long with an incline of 6.5%.
- Door opens automatically inwards, 1-leaf, width 1.30 m
Access to the exhibition rooms
- Door for exhibition opens automatically to the outside, 2-leaf, width 1.55
- Showroom doors open automatically, 1 sliding door, width 1.30 m
- Floor space 1.40 x 2.40 m
- Door width 1.13 m
- Elevator door height 2.20 m
Barrier-free sanitary facilities (gender-neutral)
- Bottom floor via elevator, 2 doors (not automatic) open inwards (1st door) and outwards (2nd door): width 1.13 m, movement area 2.32 x 3.96 m, moving right and left of WC, handles left and right foldable, height of WC seat 48 cm, emergency call available
- Ground floor right of entrance: door opens to the outside, width 1.13 m, movement area 2.00 x 2.71 m, moving right and left of WC, handles can be folded left and right, height of WC seat 48 cm, emergency calls available
For safety reasons, we reserve the right to regulate access to exhibition rooms with baby carriages if necessary (e.g. in the event of a large number of visitors). Parking spaces are available for baby carriages.
We kindly ask you to consider the following before visiting the PalaisPopulaire:
- Protect yourself and others: We recommend wearing a FFP2 or a medical mask.
- Unless otherwise noted, this also applies to events.
- The generally applicable distance and hygiene rules apply throughout the building and in the exhibition spaces.
- Please remain at home if you show signs of illness or have symptoms of a respiratory disease. You should also not leave the house if in the last two weeks you have been in contact with anyone infected with Covid-19.
Book tours and workshops for individual visitors and groups
Contact and Public Transportation
U6 Unter den Linden
S1, S2, S3, S5, S7, S9 Friedrichstraße
100, 300 Staatsoper
Guests arriving by car can use the fee based parking facility at Unter den Linden/Staatsoper (access via Behrenstraße 37).
An Open House
The PalaisPopulaire is forum for people who want to experience art, culture in an interdisciplinary way under one roof. To this end, our museum offers a wide-ranging program that brings together diverse aspects of contemporary culture. This includes exhibitions from the Deutsche Bank Collection and presentations of the “Artist of the Year” program. The shows stem from international cooperation partners or private collections.
A special focus is on our tailor-made program of events, including curatorial and thematic tours, dialogic workshop concerts with members of the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra, readings, as well as workshop offers for young and old. The PalaisTalks give visitors have the opportunity to meet artists featured in the exhibitions and actors from the world of culture live. #PalaisPopulaireForYou combines the PalaisPopulaire’ various digital offers.
Situated in the heart of Berlin, the PalaisPopulaire amalgamates tradition and the future. We want to inspire people and create access. “Populaire,” or “popular,” means that the Palais is open to all without sophistication falling by the wayside. The PalaisPopulaire merges challenging topics with new and shared experiences. You can learn more about Deutsche Bank’s commitment to the arts and culture at: here.
A Building Steeped in History
From the residence of Prussian princesses to an innovative platform for art and culture: For the PalaisPopulaire, the rooms of the historic Prinzessinnenpalais were redesigned by the renowned Berlin-based architectural office Kuehn Malvezzi. Today, behind the baroque façade there is state-of-the-art technology and clear, contemporary architecture. The building reflects Berlin’s eventful history. It tells of princesses and wars, as well as East German modern art.
Discover our exhibitions individually and multimedia with the new DigitalGuide - for free!
Audio guides for adults and children explain the background of the exhibitions in German and English. Images of individual works of art visually and informatively complement the exhibition visit on site. Click through the DigitalGuide before your next visit.
Inspired by the exhibition program the ShopPopulaire presents editions, design products and publications in the Forum of the PalaisPopulaire.
For the ShopPopulaire we regularly invite artists, designers, authors and friends from around the world to curate their own themed table.
Simply populaire and therefore extraordinary.
Daily except Tuesdays, 11 am – 6 pm
Thursday, 11 am – 9 pm
In the LePopulaire we also offer guests culinary treats, from a quick snack to exclusive dinner event.
Enjoy modern cuisine and homemade pastries in PalaisPopulaire’s Forum or on the terrace!
Daily except Tuesdays, 11 am – 9 pm
Depending on your ideas and objectives, you can use the forum and the sun terrace on the ground floor, or the atelier on the top floor.
If desired, we will round off your event with an art, culture and create an unmistakable platform for you.
We are looking forward to hearing from you with your event ideas!